Last Updated on July 18, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for more details.
This fudgy chocolate ganache cake and cupcake filling is incredibly easy with only two ingredients! It is deliciously rich and fudgy and received many compliments at Amycakes Bakery. This versatile chocolate ganache recipe can be used as a cake filling, cupcake filling, or drizzle. All you will need is a bowl, a whisk, and a microwave to make this chocolate-y goodness. Melt and whisk your heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips together, and you’ll have it ready in less than 10 minutes.
When using this ganache as a cake filling, allow it to cool and thicken in the fridge. It will be so thick and fudgy that you can spread it all the way to the edge between your cake layers (without having to add the ring of buttercream around the edges that’s required for thinner fillings like fruit compotes). For cupcake fillings and drizzles, simple heat the ganache until melted, and pour into a squeeze bottle.
Easy Fudgy Chocolate Ganache
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I use Nestle)
InstructionsTurn Instruction images ON or OFF
Make Ganache Filling
- Combine heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second increments, stirring for 30 seconds to one minute in between each heat. (It should only take two to three heats in the microwave. Lots of whisking will melt your chocolate faster and prevent the chocolate chips from overcooking in the microwave.
- Whisk until all the chocolate chips are melted and your ganache is shiny and smooth.
- When using the ganache as a cupcake filling or a ganache drizzle decoration, fill a squeeze bottle with the melted ganache. Core the cupcakes with a cupcake corer and squeeze in the melted ganache.
- When using the ganache as a cake filling, place it in the fridge to cool. Stir occasionally until it is has cooled to a very thick and fudgy consistency. Once it is the right thickness, remove it from the fridge until you are ready to fill and layer your cake. (If your ganache gets too cold, it will be too thick to spread. Simply reheat in the microwave at 5-10 second increments, stirring frequently, until it is the right consistency.)
- Store any unused ganache in the fridge.