Last Updated on July 22, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for more details.
This easy Strawberry Compote bakery recipe has a deliciously fresh and natural strawberry flavor. It cooks in only 10 minutes and can be used as a cake filling or cupcake filling. This recipe uses frozen strawberries, which saves you time and results in consistent results all year round!
Use it to fill my Moist and Fudgy Chocolate Cupcakes or my Vanilla Almond Cake recipe. Then pair the cake or cupcakes with one of my Bakery-Style Buttercream Frostings. This recipe is also used in the cake batter and buttercream of my ever-popular Ultimate Fresh Strawberry Bakery-Style Cake recipe.
Easy Strawberry Compote Cake Filling with Frozen Strawberries
- nonstick skillet
- heavy-duty spatula
InstructionsTurn Instruction images ON or OFF
Make Strawberry Compote
- Whisk Instant Clearjel and
31g (1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp) Sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine Frozen Strawberries, 38 g (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp) Sugar, and Lemon Juice in a nonstick skillet or saucepan.
- Cook on Medium heat until strawberries are fully thawed and liquid begins to simmer. Using a sturdy spatula, break apart the strawberries and cut them into very small pieces (around 1/4 inch pieces) as the strawberries simmer. The strawberries should be soft enough that they are easy to cut with the spatula. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until the strawberries are softened and you are happy with their size.
- Remove from heat and add the Instant Clearjel/Sugar mixture and stir in quickly. The compote will thicken immediately, and continue to thicken as it cools.
- Chill the strawberry compote in the refrigerator. It may be used from cold as a cake or cupcake filling. (See Note #2)
- Read my article Instant Clearjel: a Magical Little-Known Bakery Ingredient to see why I think this ingredient is worth having in your pantry. Instant Clearjel must always be whisked thoroughly with other dry ingredients before added to wet ingredients to avoid clumping. I have tested this recipe with the following Instant Clearjel brands: Prepared Pantry, Hoosier Hill Farm, and Ingredion (Make sure what you purchase is labeled as “Instant.” Cooktyle Clearjel is a different product that does not work the same in cakes). If you don’t have Instant Clearjel you can substitute Cornstarch and cook the compote longer as described in my Instant Clearjel Substitutes.
- When using strawberry compote as a cake filling, pipe a 1″ tall ring of buttercream around the edge of the cake, then spoon the compote in the middle of the buttercream ring. This will prevent the compote from spilling out of the cake.
Thanks for Reading. ❤️